Welcome to the first edition of the Authentic Parenting Blog Carnival, hosted by Authentic Parenting and Mudpiemama!
In the month of January, we start afresh, a new year, new ideas. Hence, our participants have looked into the topic of “Birth and New Beginnings”. Take a look at the end of this post to find a list of links to the entries of the other participants.
Welcome to my first post for the Authentic Parenting Blog Carnival.
January is the month where we start afresh, take the plunge again and leave the old. What are your new year's resolutions?
Well, you might be forgiven for thinking one of my resolutions is, mostly, to do stuff (such as making resolutions) weeks after everyone else. This is probably a little bit true (I've got two kids and my time-management skills are variable), and even though I’ve been reading Leo Babauta’s Effortless Life and blog-posts on goal-free living, I still can’t help but compile a mental list of all the things I am going to do, improve, achieve, perfect and complete in 2012.
There's not too much. It's certainly not overwhelming. Eminently 'do-able', I'd say (except I won't ever say 'do-able' because it's a silly word).
In no particular order: lose the last 20 (ok, 30) lbs of stubborn baby weight, do yoga and pilates every day, save lots of money and live well within my means, eat well, go to bed early every night, read all of the unread books on my book shelves and on my Kindle, maybe write a few more myself too, write more articles, develop a children's book series, declutter the house, live more sustainably, be kind to everyone all of the time, be better at keeping in touch with friends, finish all of the tasks in my sewing pile, start up two or three new businesses based around ideas I've been toying with, walk everywhere instead of taking the car, never let the kids eat too many sweets, switch off the tv more often, meditate regularly, and be a beatifically calm paragon of zen parenting at all times and under all circumstances.
Ok, I probably won't manage to tick every single one of those off my mental checklist (I'll probably have to use the car sometimes), so, in the interests of manageability, I'm narrowing it down to these:
- Complete and publish a children's book
- Be nice
Happy New Year, everyone
Visit Authentic Parenting and MudpieMama to find out how you can participate in the next Authentic Parenting Blog Carnival!
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
(This list will be live and updated by afternoon January 27 with all the carnival links.)
- Becoming Intentional with My Time Valerie at Momma in Progress shares the beginning of her year-long journey toward more intentional living.
- Alirik’s Birth Story: Sweet Surprise Lauren at Hobo Mama tells the sweet surprise unassisted home water birth story of her second child.
- My Rebirth: An Honest Look Darcel at The Mahogany Way talks a little about some of the fear and insecurity she's felt over the years since starting her parenting journey and her blog.
- Trusting My Body: Ailia’s Birth Story After a very challenging birth with her son, Dionna at Code Name: Mama was nervous about having another natural birth. But practicing relaxation techniques and birth affirmations proved to be just what she needed to have her perfect, peaceful, unassisted homebirth.
- My Homeschool Philosophy Paige a Bay Dust Diaries shares her new year's resulution about homeschooling.
- Yet Another Resolutions Post... Zen mummy's resolutions for a better 2012
- Renewing Green Passions in the New Year Jenn at Monkey Butt Junction talks about renewing a passion for green living in the new year
- Birthing and New Beginnings... And Better Mothering Sheila at A Living Family shares her first ever New Year's resolutions to be a more mindful, compassionate and respectful mother to her two-year old daughter after the recent birth of her son.
- An Open Letter to MTV Regarding 16 and Pregnant Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama delivers a pointed message to MTV about how they misrepresent birth and parenthood on 16 and Pregnant.
- Setting Intentions Megan at The Other Baby Blog shares another way to ring in the New Year.
- Spencer's Birth Story Momma Jorje shares her family's story of birthing her son with Down syndrome.
- Looking Forward, Looking Back Erica @ ChildOrganics shares how she is able to look back at the loss of their daughter and yet move forward with her family at the same time.
- Unique unto Itself. Melissa of Vibrant Wanderings has chosen a word for her second child's birth: awareness.
- The Unassisted Birth of The LIttle Buddha. Laura at Authentic Parenting shares the birth story of her new baby
- Birthing and Resolutions: Keeping Good Things in Motion. MudpieMama shares her VBAC story and why she skipped making resolutions in the traditional way.
- The Birth of a New Era by Mandy from Living Peacefully With Children